Using a VNA pallet racking design can be useful for increasing storage space with a restricted floor area. It does this by using a specific forklift which can reduce aisle size usually around 50%.
By using this specific forklift with VNA racking, companies are able to keep a high level of selectivity within their operation while reducing floor space coverage.
Very Narrow Aisle Racking is best suited For high mix, low volume SKU’s.
How does Very Narrow Aisle Racking compare to other options?
- Selectivity: 100% access to every SKU or Pallet in the system
- Inventory Rotation: FIFO (First in, first out ordering) is easily achieved through manual procedures or Warehouse Management Systems
- Availability: Components are readily available and often in stock
- Investment: This system requires among the lowest capital investment on a cost per pallet position basis
- Material Handling Equipment: Though each SKU is immediately accessible, you need a specific forklift such as the one shown in the diagram above. This requires a slightly higher expense than standard forklifts
- Density: Though it is more space-conscious than a standard selective rack, the density level is still low, i.e. number of pallet positions for a given area
- Travel Times: More distance to cover for storage and retrieval operations create longer travel times
- Throughput: More people and equipment may be necessary to obtain the required throughput
Best Suited For
High mix, low volume SKU’s
Very Narrow Aisle Racking Layout Dimensions and Equipment Considerations
VNA systems are designed in an effort to conserve space. Therefore, it will allow for a greater level of product density in your facility. Your equipment choice is something to be aware of, however, as the aisle widths are designed such that a standard forklift cannot access any of the products.
Turret or Articulating Forklifts (VNA)
- Typical Aisle Width – 6 to 7 feet
- Density – Approximately 60%
Do you need components or design help with Very Narrow Aisle Pallet Racking system?
We can help with design, product selection, and components from our existing inventory. Email us with your details and we’ll get back to you with more information.